Presidential Innovation Fellow, White House, May 2016-April 2017
Co-Founder & Chief Technology Officer, Zakon Group LLC, 2001-Present
- Sample Clients: Cyber Defense Agency, Appalachian Mtn Club, Clean Air Task Force, MITRE
- Sample Projects: OpenConf, intra/extra-nets, ecommerce, data/info/ent architectures, solar WiFi
Senior Vice President & Chief Technology Officer (CTO), SoftZoo.com, Inc., 1999-2001
- E-commerce consumer software portal and cloud application provider
Principal Engineer, Technical Ambassador & Internet Evangelist, MITRE Corporation, 1992-1999
Lead Scientist, 1994-1997; Member of Technical Staff, 1992-1994
- Multilingual Computing, Intelligence Systems, Internet Technologies, Cybersecurity
Director, Distributed Decision Making Research Lab, Weatherhead School of Management, 1990-1992
Independent Consultant, 1988-1990
- Sample Clients: VA Hospital, Apple Computer, NCR Corp., TechPool Studios, CWRU
- Sample Projects: Expert system development, OOP & UI research, marketing
Strategic Technology Initiatives
Rapid Prototyping & Programming
Emerging Technology & Market Assessments
Team Building & Management
Strategic Corporate Planning
Systems Integration & Administration
Advanced Technology Research
Training, Development, & Mentoring
Client Needs Analysis
Multicultural & Accessibility Sensitivity
Simple & Creative Solutions
- Provided guidance on FDA's $2B ICT21 procurement, HHS CMS' electronic health records security architecture, and HHS CMS' 100M+ enterprise identity management requirements
- Lead developer for the commercial open source OpenConf peer-review and event management system used for thousands of events in more than 100 countries
- Set the vision and led the development and operations of a consumer software portal and ASP, while at the same time building up a new organization, raising venture capital, hiring and managing senior and junior team members, overseeing and evaluating service providers, and ensuring coordination and collaboration across all corporate sectors.
- As a Technical Ambassador, spent one year at DoD MITRE sites around the world educating engineers and managers on emerging technologies, facilitating collaboration with their corporate counterparts, and developing capabilities to improve DoD processes.
- Led the deployment of a multi-national network for the sharing of open sources among the intelligence components of various countries. Brought in to jumpstart this stalled program, with responsibility for both the design and implementation of the network and information infrastructures, and to lead technical discussions with government officials of participating and interested countries (Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Israel, Netherlands, UK).
- Integrated the first machine translation system with the Web, pre-dating similar Internet capabilities by more than three years. This capability has been deployed and used worldwide since the early 1990s.
- Designed and developed one of the first corporate intranets, MITRE's Information Infrastructure.
- Designed and deployed the highest wireless network (WiFi - 802.11) in the Eastern US.
- Designed, developed, and managed dozens of web sites, including sites receiving millions of daily hits.
Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), Cleveland, OH
M.S. Computer Engineering & Science
B.S. Computer Engineering major with Psychology and Philosophy concentrations
The Peddie School, Hightstown, NJ
Colégio Andrews, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Fluent in English and Portuguese; speaking ability in Spanish
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Senior Member, IEEE
- Senior Fellow, Applied Computer Security Associates (ACSA)
- Board of Advisors Member, First Run Angels Group
- Counselor, SCORE
- Chairman, Organizing and Steering Committee Member, ACSAC (Security Conference)
- Chairman, SIGNIDR V (Networked Information Discovery & Retrieval Conference)
- Co-Chairman, User Interface Symposium
- Coordinator, Foreign Language Technology Symposium
- Author of Hobbes' Internet Timeline, published in thousands of magazines, books, and web sites
- Presenter at dozens of conferences, symposia, and invited keynotes, including the WWW (W3C) Conference, OWASP AppSec Conferences, and NATO Information Systems Management Conference
- Author of over 50 technical papers and briefings ranging in topic from information security and Internet technologies to multilingual computing and technology policy
SELECTED AWARDS AND TESTIMONIALS
Testimonial, Lead Government Contractor
Recognition Award, OSIS International – secure multinational VPN
- "You are a professional with tremendous skills, you are an asset to every team you work with, and we value your help at all times."
Recognition Award, BCS – first bilingual (English/Japanese) Intelink extranet
- “Your efforts have resulted in a solution that allows International ... access securely using low-cost commercial technologies in an innovative manner”
Testimonial, Non-Profit Executive Director
- "Your contributions ... are indicative of the type of behavior that adds value and reflects well on MITRE"
Director's Distinguished Accomplishment Award, WebMT – first web integration of machine translation
- And I personally thank Robert for his patience, expertise and ingenuity for making this very, very complicated upgrade to our site happen. I can't even imagine where we would be without Robert!
Director's Distinguished Accomplishment Award, MITRE Information Infrastructure (intranet)
- "Despite an extremely aggressive schedule, and a limited budget, The ... Team rapidly defined, designed, and deployed” “Working with initially vague requirements, the indefatigable ... Team worked long hours to ensure an excellent product which received customer praise"
Program Achievement Award, Intelligence Community Open Source Coverage & Capabilities Database
Special Recognition Award, NASA Spacelink Interface Study
Testimonial, OpenConf Client
- “Your contributions were outstanding and performed under difficult conditions, including short turnaround time and limited funds. Your participation was critical to the success”
- "Thanks a million, Robert. You are one in a million."
Additional information, including a vitae, is available at www.zakon.org